Acne is a common skin condition that affects females and males alike, and there is teenage acne and even adult acne. It is the overproduction of oil on skin, which results in acne scars or pimples and appears on the face, neck, shoulders and even arms.
Even though teenagers are considered more prone to acne, adults between 20-40 years of age are also likely to develop the condition. In United States alone, 40-50 million people have acne and as teenagers, over 40% of US teens develop acne. Females are more susceptible to acne, and according to a research study published in 2012 in Journal of Women’s Health, acne affects almost half of females aged 21 to 30.
What Causes Adult Acne: Hormone Imbalance
For the most part, acne breakouts are attributed to hormonal imbalance. With an increase in the production of androgen, a hormonal agent, oil glands on the skin enlarge and produce more oil. And these also produce a white compound called sebum.
So while excess oil can obstruct pores, sebum can cause the cellular walls to break, and this increases the growth of bacteria and causes pimples to develop.
What Triggers Acne: Greasy cosmetics, dietary imbalances, stress:
Use of oily cosmetics can cause acne as they can plug cell hair follicles and and result in bacterial development and pimples. Similarly, dietary imbalances and tension could likewise trigger acne breakouts.
Ways to Keep Adult Acne at Bay
1. One of the ways frequently understood to check the event of acne is lowering consumption of refined carbohydrates, like chocolate. This is due to the fact that improved carbs can raise insulin levels, which sets off a release of hormonal agents.
2. One may choose to avoid seafood, as some kinds of seafood are believed to worsen acne.
3. Tension could be a reason for acne, as cortisol, which is a tension hormone, can promote oil glands.
4. A clean diet can work wonders for making sure that one does not get acne. You must make certain that your diet includes more whole foods, and likewise that the consumption of sugar and hydrogenated fats is minimum.
5. If you experience acne scars, among the best ways to conquer the condition is to use a moderate cleanser, in the morning and before bedtime.
6. And also, one must prevent touching the face repeatedly when experiencing acne.
7. At the same time, Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are also significantly reliable for getting rid of or reducing acne, and these are often in form of topically applied creams, and gels.
If you want to know more about acne read this article on why you should use witch hazel on acne.